Union Memorial Baptist Church has served as a center for religious activity in the Westminster community since 1881. The church began in a wooded area near Willow Street in Westminster Maryland. The gallery on the East side of the church was set apart for colored people. The Carroll County land records show, on February 8, 1878 Upton Roop deeded land to William and Ellen Oursler and on September 8, 1878 Mr. and Mrs. Oursler deeded this land to Reverend Robert H. Young. Under the leadership of Reverend Robert H. Young, it was formerly deeded as the Baptist Church for colored people. The original structure was located at 298 Green Street and for 70 years the congregation worshiped under the name Union Church of Westminster until 1951 or 1952 when the church was renamed Union Memorial Baptist Church. On March 28, 1977 Union Memorial Baptist Church suffered structural damages after a severe storm and the county condemned the building. It took 6 long years but in 1983 Reverend Robert S. Jones and the congregation were able to construct the present day facility and reopened the doors at 160 S Center Street Westminster Maryland. The sanctuary represents the gifts and hard work of many.
Over the decades, the legacy of Union Memorial Baptist Church has been enriched through the strong commitment of its pastoral leadership and its congregation. We are focused on our rich history and committed to our annual events.The ties to the community include the volunteer efforts surrounding the upkeep and maintenance of Ellsworth Cemetery, a one-acre site, just east of Westminster, which was purchased for the burial of colored people in the area in 1876. The Old Time Gospel Jubilee which we host every third Friday in December allows groups from all denominations to come together to worship in song. The annual Slave Narratives, is Union Memorial Baptist Church's Black History Month program. The program is presented the last Saturday in February and are first hand accounts of slavery in the the United States.
1881 UMBChurch Present